I apologize for my delay in posts. There is no excuse except for the obvious trying to adjust to married life and pregnancy. I have somehow seemed to overwhelm myself with home projects. We have lived in this house for 9 months and I have just now started to hang décor on the living room walls. Something about a new member joining the family soon makes me want to have this rental in tip-top shape; even if he is just an infant who won’t know the difference.
I have many projects in the works right now. But the one I want to share with you today is my TV stand turned entry bench.
This TV stand had obviously seen better days. My husband was ready to toss it but my inner DIYer said “I can still make this piece of furniture work!”. He wasn’t thrilled at first but now enjoys the fact that he has a place to sit when putting on and taking off his shoes.
Items needed for this project:
- an old sturdy TV stand worthy of keeping
- wood piece for the top
- foam cushion to make it comfy
- 1.5 yards of fabric (you’ll have extra, but who doesn’t love fabric scraps?)
- Staple gun and staples
To get started I had my wood cut so that there was an extra half inch on both the width and length of the bench. I pondered for a while about what kind of cushion I wanted to have on this bench and one day, while in Wal-Mart, as I was walking past (yes, walking past) the craft aisles I saw these foam squares that ended up being about $7 a piece. I bought two and they were the perfect size!
I laid this out like a sandwich on the floor; Fabric, foam cushions, and wood on top. After ensuring that everything was even I began to fold the corners of the fabric and secure it to the wood with staples.
And here is the finished product:
Since we are getting into the later months and my home décor is changing, I decided to change the fabric on this entry bench. I will post pictures of the removal process here:
If you’re anything like me I’m sure you don’t want to go out and buy a staple remover for a project like this so these are the tools I used:
- Flat head screwdriver
I was able to take out the staples, save myself some money and save my fabric!
Now it’s ready for fall/winter!
If you liked this post or have any feedback let me know!
Until next time…